We were invited to provide SEO advice for a casino website. The website was attractive and had probably cost a significant amount of money to develop.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
The website had numerous affiliate links. The concept of affiliate marketing is as follows:-
- Some ‘industries’, such as online gambling have high profit margins and are only too willing to offer attractive commissions to any website that can send them business.
- Build a website.
- SEO to achieve top page positioning on Google for target keywords.
- Place links on your website to websites offering affiliate commissions.
- Floods of visitors.
- When a visitor on your website clicks on a link and buys something from the linked website you earn a commission.
- There are many affiliate providers who monitor transitions and sort out the financial rewards.
- Sit back and watch the money pour in.
- My advice, as below, was that there was no quick means to success for such an online casino website. To achieve success, the website would need more links than Austin Reed, Lacoste, Lakeland, Pets at Home or Rymans. Remember, if it sounds to be too good to be true, it probably is.
The SEO requirement for this casino website was to achieve top page positioning on Google for the relevant keywords.
Numerous relevant keywords were analysed with Keyword SEO Pro. All the keywords had keyword difficulty (TPR – Total Page Reputations) in the red range. The new website has a PageRank of 0 and could only compete for keywords with TPR of less than 6.6 . None of the keywords the client wished to have top page positioning were in range. To bring in visitors for these keywords advertisements online such as Google Adwords would be required but these would have been prohibitively expensive.
( N.B. Until 2015, KSP used Google PageRank data. Google no longer provides updates. KSP from 2015 uses Moz authority scores. These are approximately 10-fold PageRank readings.)
Keyword SEO Pro shows that the Web Pages on the top page of Google for desirable keywords have HomePage PageRanks of 5 or more.
PageRank is on a logarithmic scale. Very few small or medium sized businesses achieve HomePage PageRanks greater than 3.
Examples of HomePage PageRanks.
HomePage PageRanks 4 :
Austin Reed, Lacoste, Lakeland, Pets at Home, Rymans, Whittards, 4networking.biz
HomePage PageRanks 5:
Body Shop, Burbery, Costa, Dixons, Dorothy Perkins, Halfords, Laura Ashley, Millets, Millets, Monsoon, Morrisons, Mothercare, PC World, Starbucks
There are emails and advice on the web from self-anointed ‘Gurus’ who know so much that for a small fee they will impart their secrets. For those new to online marketing, it all sounds very easy. Remember, if it sounds to be to good to be true, it probably is.